Thursday, August 28, 2008

Music

A little while ago I was thinking about how much I listen to worship music and how little I actually worship. I mean, what a gift, to have these worship songs on cd or iPod. They are songs that God inspired within peoples' hearts. Some were songs that people worked really hard on while others were songs that God may have given someone in ten minutes. These songs have words meant to direct the gaze of my heart towards Christ and my Father. And yet while I might comfort myself by the thought that I am atleast listening to such music, I know in my heart that I am not taking full advantage of it. As American Christians, it seems we have all the Bibles and worship music sitting right in front of us, but how little it is put to joyful excercise! I just finished reciting 2 Corinthians 3 to myself out loud and just felt led to put my heart and soul into its' reciting. It was amazing! There are times I have listened to worship music focusing on the words, applying them to my heart, applying them to my view of God, more fully surrendering my heart to Him, crying out to Him, and then quietly listening for His voice. Amazing things have happened during such times. When I write all this I do not have before me the goal of merely spending more time in these activities. My goal is to surrender more of my heart to Jesus, to have greater passion for His glory, and to give Him the worship He so dearly deserves. I do all this because He has loved me and gave His life for me. I love Him because He first loved me.

No comments: