Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reasons For Each Step

If I were asked what my reason for living is I would answer that it is Jesus and bringing Him glory. But how about if I were asked what my reasons for individual steps I take in the days and weeks of my life? What if you were to zoom in and look at the decisions I make, the words I use, not to mention the thoughts that run through my head. As you take a closer look at my life, I think I would be quite stupid to try to fool you with such an answer as living for Jesus and bringing Him glory.

So what are my reasons for each step? Pleasing others, appearing spiritual, my own comfort. Those things encompass a large part of my motivation for doing things. I have to admit that it feels foolish to confess such motivations. It reveals how stubbornly I avoid repentance and how blind I am to my sin to begin with. Bringing my actual motivations to light and seeing just how foolish they are seems to be such an important part of true repentance and change. I realize that if I am going to truly live a life for God's glory, the individual steps of that life must one by one become for God's glory. Those steps must first shed their sinful motivation and then put on a motivation for the glory of God and source of all joy. A life lived for God's glory is made of individual grace-filled steps, each of them passionate for His glory.

Lord, reveal my sinful motivations and bring them to light. Take away my spiritual blindness and allow me to see not only my sin but the nailprints on your body that conquered and did away with sin's dominion over me. I am under your dominion now Jesus and you have filled me with your Spirit. Redeem each step of my life by your Spirit to be lived for your glory and joy. I know there no greater joy than in You!!

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

great post, pat!!!! btw, I have a pic for you from our Coldplay trip. See my mom @ care group tomorrow night for it, k? c ya!!!!