Friday, September 05, 2008

Expressing Joy

How often do I get excited and it's merely about earthly things? I get excited about Chinese food, the fact that it's Friday, get-togethers with friends, a favorite ice cream. And all these things other people see me express joy in and it's such a beautiful and attractive joy. Joy at such times is contagious, is it not? So it became clear to me recently that there is a disconnect here. People see me expressing such ecstatic joy to the point of jumping up and down and singing over the fact that Chinese food has just arrived at my front door (General Tsao has a way of making me jump up and down). And then how do they see me when I interact with my Lord? I express joy about lesser things and find my joy in Christ is often inferior in its expression. My joy in Christ, joy at having been set free and forgiven, should be overflowing and pouring forth from my heart! And if it's not then I need to go to God in prayer and meditate on the salvation and inheritance he has bestowed upon me, both of which are filled with Him! I have a Lover, a Joy, a Friend, a Brother, a Father, an Anchor, and a Comforter all in Him! As I go to Him in prayer, it must not just be during my morning haze of waking up before work or my hurried utterances before claiming my much-desired sleep. My prayer must weave in and throughout my day, letting the joy imparted through my fellowship with God capture each moment. Oh, that my joy in Christ may grow and grow, welling up until its expression is unmatched and the light of Christ will shine through my joy for His glory.

No comments: