Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Leaving This World

I left today out to sea. I don't know for how long. A cold sensation hits me as I now begin seeing the days I had on land in a new light. What did I do with them? What did I live for? For now I have left that world and only what was done for Christ brings me joy as I look back. If I feel so now, how much more will I feel so when all my earthly days are past, never to be regained! What will my pursuit of earthly comfort and cowering under fear of man afford me then? Nothing but shame at having denied my Savior. And so I feel that mixture of shame and joy. Shame at having not been more bold during my last days and given all my heart-love-passion-surrender for his glory. But there is also joy at having been bold at times, having denied the world in exchange for surrender of all my person, love and being to Christ.

My unworthiness in both circumstances but for Christ, leaves me feeling the exhilarating weight and release of grace. Grace pushes me forward toward Christ in the days ahead which are passing just as quickly and the ever-flowing joy of the cross overwhelms the shame and joy that came with pursuing holiness during my last days. Have you ever seen a waterfall? Powerful, refreshing, peaceful. There is a waterfall of grace at the cross that falls powerfully into my heart when I will but stand under it. With such a waterfall, who could help but run this race with all their heart?

Peter must have oft recounted his repeated denial in the face of temporal wordly pressure. And yet he writes what must have been his resolved response to such remembrance.

"Therefore, preparing your minds for action and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."
1 Peter 1:13


What follows in his writings are strong passionate words which condemn the fleeting world and exalt Christ. Peter, having faced past denials of Christ, tells us to place all our hope fully on the grace in Jesus Christ. It is a grace that overflows in determined, sober-minded action joined with passionate, joyful, suffering love for Christ. He is basically telling us to quit it with half-hearted wandering around. Get under the waterfall and His Spirit will lead you.

"All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the Word of the Lord remains forever."
1 Peter 1:24-25

"For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did revile in return; when he suffered he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were staying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."
1 Peter 2: 21-25

No comments: