Thursday, April 26, 2007

Be Still My Soul


Be still, my soul:
when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened
in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know
His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe
thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul:
thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness
all He takes away.


Could a hymn better describe how I feel as I look back at all the dear friends I have left behind? The tears I have cried as my heart longs for their nearness have been many and yet if I had not cried them, I would not have known His love, His heart, Who comes to soothe. I love the last lines of this verse. They recognize the fullness of Christ and his loving sovereignty, loving us even to the point of taking away those close to us so that He can be even closer. Be still, my soul and behold the God who loves! He loved us enough to suffer on the cross for us. He loves us enough to have us share in His sufferings and so have our hearts pressed up against His. When all is darkened in the vale of tears, that we might better know His heart and His love!

"For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too."
2 Corinthians 1:5

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share in Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."
1 Peter 4:12

No comments: