Thursday, April 05, 2007

Glory Come Down


What is it in the nature of man
That draws us away from our purpose
To despise the things of God
And love the things that hurt us

And this can't be, no it cant be
What you have intended for us
This can't be, no it cannot be
What you have intended for us

Glory, come down
Sent from your holy place
Come cleanse us now
Sovereign and holy, come make us holy
Sovereign and holy, come make us holy


Driving home tonight, I was listening to an old cd mix I made years ago and on it was the song "Glory Come Down" by Sara Groves. What a beautiful song; not only beautiful piano but lyrics filled with beautiful truths as well. How quickly I am drawn away from my purpose and soon I find myself with no appetite or taste for the things of God and I begin loving things that only end up hurting me. Sometimes these things are even the very gifts that God gives me.

I remember one of the prayers I love in "The Valley of Vision" where the writer admits that when God gives him gifts, he begins to idolize them. He prays that God would cleanse him of this "spiritual adultery". I must remember what I learned from John Piper that God's gifts are not meant to be the end in themselves but that they serve their purpose when they are wings that carry me to God and recognizing Him as the prize and the greatest gift.

What a beautiful thought it is, to be holy as He is holy. And it is only God who can accomplish this for in myself there is nothing but sin. God is sovereign and will make me holy as I surrender my adulterous heart to him. These are not light-hearted thoughts when describing my own sinfulness, I know, but how such thoughts cry out for a Savior to cleanse and make beautiful. What was dirty and stained, God makes white as snow. What was dark as night, God fills with light. And the heart that was frozen through, God warms and makes soft. All this was bought by you, Jesus, with a love that suffered, sacrificed, and endured. Make us holy as you are holy. Warm our frozen hearts.

"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit..."
1 Peter 3:18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep talking to yourself boy! It was so good to have you for dinner tonight. You are a treasured friend to our family. I enjoy reading your blog...will you be able write when you are out to sea?

patrick said...

I know! I will keep talking to myself! I should still be able to write on the blog when I'm out to sea so I will to keep it updated. I love you guys so much and will cry many tears when I leave! Thank you so much for loving me!