Monday, November 03, 2008

The Redeemer and the Election

Put your hope in me!

As I watch the news and the two silly candidates giving motivating speeches, this is the basic message I hear. Put your hope in me. And to that I say, No! No, I won't put my hope in you because my hope is in Jesus! There was a day two thousand years ago when the disciples thought all was lost. Jesus was on the cross and breathed what was thought to be his last breath. All was not lost though; Jesus conquered death and rose again! And ever since then God has been redeeming seemingly dark and hopeless situations. Jesus is our Redeemer and he continues to redeem because he is alive! I am excited for November 4th to come and every day after because that will be a day that Jesus is alive and redeeming. No matter who is President, we are hopeless without Jesus!

I just finished a book about the Christian church growing in a Muslim country. The Christians there had to put their hope in Jesus and be willing to die for Him. Two of the young men had dreams one day to go preach Jesus Christ on the steps of Mecca! What faith and love for their Savior! The church there is still growing in the face of opposition, imprisonments and death and they are bringing change to culture around them with the love of Christ. The book reminded me that the hope for change in any culture is the church putting their hope in Jesus Christ and reaching out into the darkness with the glorious light of their Redeemer and Savior. People will see the love and forgiveness of Christ through the church and that will bring more change to the culture than anything else could.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter who is President, just that it matters infinitely more that Jesus is on the throne and that he is the promised and faithful Redeemer of our lives and the world. In the midst of watching the news and trying not to yell at the tv screen (I am guilty here), in the midst of injustice and inconsistency, and in the midst of voting on November 4th, put your hope in Jesus! Only HE is worthy and only HE can keep his promise to redeem the world. Let hope rise because of Jesus and his church where He lives and breathes by his Spirit.

Let hope rise!
The darkness trembles in your holy light
Every eye will see Jesus our God
Great and mighty to be praised!
-from "With Everything" by Hillsong


And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in you.
Psalm 39:7

No comments: