Thursday, October 30, 2008

Haiku For My Grandmother

I've been emailing my grandmother in Seattle while I've been at sea and she has been encouraging me to write haiku. She knows I like writing poetry and in fact, is in a large part responsible for my liking of poetry. She introduced one of her own haiku as an example. You may guess by the haiku that she is an Obama supporter and has a quite dry since of humor.

Morning broken
Shattered by the jerk who stole
My Obama sign


Traditionally haiku are supposed to be about nature but you can do whatever you please I suppose. She asked me to write some of my own and in my next email I didn't so she asked me again. Here are the ones that I sent her in the next email.

Seattle sunshine
No, not today--so we wait
And smile at the clouds


My grandmother says people in Seattle don't smile at the clouds, they spit at them. This second one was her favorite I think because it describes things we both absolutely love!

The morning--coffee
Wind chimes in the breeze--pancakes
A book on the couch


And the last one was inspired by reading Thomas Watson who wrote, "Never do the flowers of grace grow more than after a shower of repentant tears."

Rain falls--bitter drops--
Tears soften the surface--dry hearts
Soon to grow sweet fruit

No comments: