Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quietness

"It's all about you, Jesus
And all this is for you
For your glory and your fame
It's not about me
As if you should do things my way
You alone are God
And I surrender to your ways."


Lately things have been so noisy. Thoughts rush through my head, creating a constant stir. I am always moving it feels like, never sitting still, never just listening. Have you been somewhere like the middle of the forest and just stopped to listen? I feel like something always happens in my heart when I do this. Earlier tonight I found myself listening to soft piano music and just letting myself be at peace. I felt like writing a poem or sharing my heart with a close friend. I spent some quiet time in prayer and felt comforted by the Lord.
Why do I feel like I always have to have something going on? Why do I often avoid a quiet night alone? Lately I have been craving this quietness. The emptiness of constant social activity has made me long for time alone where I just listen and reflect. I love the song above because it seems to come from someone who has stopped in the midst of selfish and busy pursuits and is confessing that everything is about God and his glory. I find I am often blind to the selfishness of how I spend my time until I actually take the time to be quiet and reflect. The noise of the world drowns out the life-giving words of my Father. My heart grows cold and I don't long for my Father's presence, for His words, or for His holiness to become my own.

Lord, make heart quiet before you. Let me hear you voice. Let me see that everything is for your glory. I long for You and long for holiness.

"For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him."
Psalm 62:5

No comments: