Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Rising Sun

In just a short while I will standing in heaven looking back on my life. Or I wonder if my eyes will be so utterly captivated by the beauty of Jesus Christ that I will not have any desire to look back. Such a thought confronts my heart in many ways. The first thought is one of comfort because the things that frighten me are all the sudden of little consequence. There is also a feeling of reservation though because there are certain things in my life that I am looking forward to such as getting married and seeing what my kids are going to be like. I find then that my thoughts of heaven also make getting married seem to be of little consequence. And the truth is that my dreams of happiness on this earth really are trivial when they stand next to the light of the beauty of Christ. All of this is still setting in but it is gradually dawning on me that I am going to have to let go of such worldly cares as marriage and kids if I am going to experience the joy of being captivated completely by Christ. To be honest, there are two things in my life right now that consume much of my thoughts. One of them is that I will be spending 7 of the next 8 months underway on my ship. The other thought is one of looking forward to getting married. A thought of anxiety and a thought of longing and joy. The beauty of Christ is like a sun rising over the horizon and its light is falling on both of these worries and transforming both of them into vehicles that have the simple purpose of bringing me closer to Christ.

And so I rejoice.

I rejoice at going underway for 7 months because I know without a doubt that such a time will make me fall more in love with my Savior. I rejoice as I look forward to getting married for the reason that this also will also bring me closer to Christ. As my heart conforms with this view, I am finding that my departure is not a cause for sorrow and neither is getting married merely a cause for temporal happiness. All sorrow and temporal happiness dissipate as my hearts' doors open to the light of Christ.

Give me one pure and holy passion
give me one magnificent obsession
give me one glorious ambition for my life
to know and follow hard after you

To know and follow hard after you
to grow as your disciple in your truth
This world is empty pale and poor
compared to knowing you my Lord

Lead me on and I will run after You:)

1 comment:

Brian Whalen said...

This is an excellent post, Patrick. What a great way to put the world into perspective. Thanks for writing - I was very encouraged!