Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Day in a Coffee Shop

The majority of the day has been spent in this small coffee shop in Galveston. The environment is relaxing to say the least. It feels almost like time is standing still and I am looking back at the patchy landscape of my life. I don't mind the smell of cigarette smoke. Ceiling fans move hypnotically, making shadows flash across the tables and walls. The music is mostly melancholy, washing away the busy thoughts that have accumulated in my mind. I read here all morning and wrote emails, sipping coffee and floating effortlessly in my mind. I'm back here in the late afternoon and have been listening to music and writing in my journal.

I read beautiful, encouraging, and truth-filled words from Andrew Murray this morning about surrendering to God and letting Him do the work of establishing us in Christ. He pointed out that all our efforts just get in the way when God promises do this work Himself. My focus now becomes more one of not getting distracted, surrendering, and releasing my heart into His promising and loving hands.

Crazy that I should have forgotten the countless times Jesus asked me to lay my burdens down. As I wake each morning, the picture of myself is like a traveller who wakes up from sleep and immediately looks around to gather his things so he can continue his long and tiresome journey. A new image is coming alive in my mind right now and it is of someone who wakes up and immediately his eyes fall on the familiar gaze of His Savior. He then gathers his things and gives them up to the offering Hand and suddenly they all disappear. He feels the Savior take his hand and this Hand leads him through the day, guiding through suffering and joys alike. Suffering and joy are one and the same in light of the the ever-present Savior living from within his own heart.

"And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit as a guarantee."
2 Corinthians 1:21

No comments: