Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Loving

A profound quote from 'The Wedding' by Nicholas Sparks,

But love, I've come to understand, is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day.

*Sigh...

How true. Love is sustained by action.

I find that indeed I can have all the good intentions and think all the loving thoughts in the world but if I do not act consistently and purposefully, then love will not be sustained. I can apply this to my friendships, to my family, to my future marriage, and most of all to my relationship with God. As I live out my relationship with God in love, I must be sure to sustain my love with action. I want my love for God to increase and this is impossible without acts of love even and especially when I'm less likely to feel inclined. Jesus could have told God that he loved us all he wanted when he was praying in the garden before being crucified. If Jesus didn't submit his will to God though and take action despite his feelings, then Jesus' love for us never would have been fulfilled. I was pleasantly surprised to read something so profound and true from Nicholas Sparks. I need only think on times that I have failed and succeeded at loving someone. Yes, truly love is fulfilled and sustained by action.

No comments: