Monday, October 30, 2006

My Wedding Ring

I often would look at my left hand and the empty place on my ring finger would fill my heart with longing. What is this longing? A longing to belong to someone? A longing to love and to be loved? I'm not quite sure exactly but whatever it is makes my heart quicken. One day a woman will place a ring on that finger but I feel like God spoke to me clearly a word of His own about this. When he spoke to me, He wanted me to know that before any woman would ever think of placing a ring on my finger, He placed his own ring on my finger, marking me as His. Though I can't see this ring, I can feel it on my finger, burning with love, reminding me of my identity and to whom I belong. It is the ring a lover gives in commitment, it is the ring a father puts on his child, and it is the ring that defines the very core of who I am. Thank you Lord for this very real image you have given me as a gift. Only you are truly worth belonging to and being loved by. Continue to teach me and show me that I am your beloved.

No comments: