Saturday, November 18, 2006

This Man

Would you take the place of this man?
Would you take the nails from his hands?


Ha, I was confused by this song as I was listening to it. I really like the tune and so I would be singing along really loud but I felt silly since I didn't really understand it. I did some pondering though and when it hit me I was like, wow.

Why would we want to take the place of Jesus?
And why on earth would we try to pull the nails from his hands while he hangs crucified for us?
It seems silly.

And it is, in a very serious way though. When I try to accomplish my own work to save myself or appear righteous before God, this is what I'm effectively doing. Out of pride, I'm trying to to take out the nails of Christ's finished work.
I like how Keith phrased it last Sunday when he said that we try to smuggle our works into God's grace. I guess this is what God is trying to show me so that my identity will be more secure in Christ. To try to take Christ's place is an ugly thing and it is something I've been guilty of a lot recently.

Lord, do you work in me that I may rest secure in you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this may seem weird since we don't have much to do with each other anymore, but I was led to your blog through facebook, which I was led to by who knows why, but I have been extremely blessed reading this. thank you for your honesty and being truthful, that is a rare and beautiful thing. Caitlin (Owen) Penner