Monday, July 07, 2008

Burying His Treasure


I was reminded of the parable of the talents while reading a chapter in Francis Chan's book. Two of the servants went and did something with the talents that their master gave them. The other servant went and buried the talents that were given to him. This convicted me on the level of whether or not I am burying my inheritance from Christ now in hopes of "cashing in" or "digging it up" later. I am like this in so many ways. God offers to lavish me with heavenly treasures and joys now if I will give up all and come to Him empty-handed. My hands and my time are both so full of earthly cares that I have no room for what He would give to me. I am neglecting and burying the talents He has given me instead of sowing them as seeds in ways that He leads.
In light of God's love, should I be crazy in love with God? Yes, without a doubt! I have to admit though that I am not crazy in love with God and don't bear fruit as someone who is crazy in love with God. There are so many ways I don't give of my time, money, and possessions and actually test God like He tells me to.

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and test me now in this," says the Lord of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows."
Malachi 3:10


I love how Francis Chan ends his chapter by encouraging us to confess our sinful attitudes and ask Him to change us.

"Tell Him that you want Him to change you, that you long to genuinely enjoy Him. Tell Him how you want to experience true satisfaction and joy and pleasure in your relationship with Him. Tell Him you want to love Him more than anything on this earth. Tell Him you want to treasure the kingdom of heaven so much that you'd willingly sell everything in order to get it."

And I know that as I pray this prayer consistently and am amazed at God's love freely given to me that the Holy Spirit will begin bringing change in my heart. Already after reading this book, I'm looking forward to going and spending time with my Lord, confessing inconsistencies in my life, and asking Him by His power through His Spirit to change me and make me wholly dependent on Him.

Lord, take over my heart. Make my heart obsessed with You. Let me completely and staggeringly be overwhelmed by your love in giving your Son. You so loved the world that you gave. Lord, let my love likewise overflow into giving, both of myself, my time, and my possessions. I want to test you like you ask me to and I want to come to you with empty hands.

No comments: