Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Heart Set Sail Today


I stare at the ocean sometimes and dream about being on a sailboat out here. Life would be so much different on a sailboat. I would feel so much more apart of the ocean. I would see it, feel it, listen to it, and smell it all day. As it is, I enjoy brief moments with the ocean. I wrote a little poem as I was dreaming about being on a sailboat.

My heart set sail today.
I said goodbye but my voice got lost in the wind.

No longer tied to the shore
but still treasuring its' touch.
Now I float, my sailboat buoyed by fathoms
of deep blue mystery.
Is His love really like an ocean, I wonder?
Like an ocean how? In depth? In beauty?

I lay on my back and smile, feet in the water,
staring at the sky, feeling the wind, listening to the waves,
imagining Him wrapped around me,
holding me like the ocean holds my sailboat.

The wind blows harder and my heart stirs.
The waves seem to shiver as the first raindrops fall.
A storm.

I wonder if His love is like a storm too,
shaking me to the depths of my being,
teaching me to trust,
teaching me to see the ocean with new eyes.
Sometimes I'm afraid the ocean will swallow me
and I'll disappear,
but then I'll only be taken deeper.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I felt like I was in this as I was reading it.

So I'm reading a book for my prayer class and there is this awesome quote, "Prayer is talking to the Father, not simply because we are confused or confounded, but because we are lonesome for Him."

Just thought you'd like that. :)

Momma B. said...

Love this poem! I think the images will stay with me for a while. There is a lot to think about in there.