Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Lilies of the Field

"See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tommorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith."

When I see pictures like the one above I often think of Jesus' reminder to us about how he provides for us like the flowers of the field. And it's not just this glib, "Yeah, I'll provide for you." No, he gives us this beautiful image as if to say, "Not only will I provide for you, but I will provide beautifully for you beyond what you could ever imagine." It reminded me of how the Lord's promises are gifts to us. Some promises, people keep almost begrudgingly because they have to but Jesus keeps His promises out of love and because He delights to.

For example, take His promise not to worry about tomorrow. I didn't realize how wonderful that promise was until it dawned on me how much joy on a given day is lost by this incessant worrying. I waste so much time worrying about the future, always wondering whether or not things are going to turn out how I dream they will. My stubbornness in worrying about the future can sometimes become like this sad image of me holding on to my own dreams while God keeps trying to fill me His own wonderful dreams which are so much better. I am learning to just close my eyes, take a deep breath, place my own dreams on the ground, and say, "Lord, I know your dreams are better. I want your dreams to be mine."

And in this I am being changed as I see what a glorious gift is given to me in Jesus' image of the flowers in the field. God not only clothes them, but he clothes them beautifully. And the flowers don't worry about tomorrow. Instead they display God's beauty by just being who they are. God's promise about tomorrow is such a gift because it sets me free to enjoy what He has for me today without freaking out about tomorrow. I am starting to see that my tendency to dream about the possibilities that tommorrow may bring wasn't a mistake in the way God made me. No, it was a gift. I use that gift wrongly in worrying but He gave it to me so that I could see, dream, and look forward to His coming faithfulness. He is the only one who holds tommorrow. He is the Sun that will rise once more and shine His light in the midst of every circumstance that may come.

No comments: