Saturday, May 17, 2008

Firstfruits

"The best of the first fruits of your ground you shall bring to the house of the Lord your God."
Exodus 23:19


I just finished reading what some would call the boring parts of Exodus where the specifics of the law were laid out. Some things that really stuck out to me were God's heart behind certain laws. The Sabbath is so beautiful and a precious gift from the Lord. A day to trust God. A day to trust God together with your family. A day to lay down the worries and anxieties of this life and place them on the altar before God.
Another beautiful part was the part about giving God your firstfruits. I see the wickedness in my own heart that resists giving God the firstfruits of my day. I resist spending time in His Word and when I finally do, I find that it is the sweetest thing ever! There are so many ways that I can offer the firstfruits of my day to God and what a joy that is when I actually see it through God's eyes. It is a gift from the Lord. It is a chance for my heart to be changed as it is attached more and more firmly as a vine to the branch. My Father didn't hesitate to give his firstfruits in sending Jesus for me. No, instead He gave freely and fully and graciously found this undeserving child. Thank you Lord! Teach me please to give of my firstfruits just like you did!

No comments: