Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Earth From Up Above

As I left for this trip I was really distracted from Christ and the cross. As I tried to refocus myself on it, my mind would keep wandering. I was staring out the window of the airplane and at one point we were low before landing and I could see neighborhoods of individual houses with their cars parked out front. I thought of individual people in all these houses, all of them consumed with the importance of their own thoughts and lives. Their cars all out in front of their houses. Countless possessions decorating them inside. And yet so many of these spread over the landscape that lay before me. It was like seeing the earth as it really is for the first time. One question came to my mind.

Am I just going to be another person consumed with himself?

I know that I am. And Lord, you know that I am. But I don't want to be!

This trip has been good because overall it is having the effect of being able to look down on my life back home objectively. I can see it laid out before me on a landscape where trivialities get lost in the whole story that is taking place. As a result, God so graciously is speaking clarity and peace where before I only felt confusion and unrest. It almost felt supernatural as I read about the cross, listened to music about the cross, and meditated on how it applied to my present situation. What I thought was immovable had been moved by the power of the Gospel. My faith is now increased that when I am in such a situation again that the power of the Gospel will conquer whatever is distracting me.

Lord, help me believe in the power of your Gospel! Help me believe that you will always be faithful to conquer my daily distractions!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick;
Thanks for sending your blog address, the Smith family will enjoy reading your posts! Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Have a great time with your family.

Jenny Smith