Sunday, December 02, 2007

You Are The One I Want

So goes the refrain of a song I have been listening to called "Arithmetic" by Brooke Fraser. It resonates so deeply with my heart's cry in the midst of all the things that are trying to distract me. I think the first thing that really drew in to the song was the verse that goes...

I've been counting up all my wrongs
one sorry for each star
I'd apologize my way to You
if the heavens stretched that far
'Cause you are the one I want
You are the one I want.

So great are my wrongs toward the lover of my soul. The beautiful part though is when through forgiveness and God's grace, the stars in the sky change into an image of God's unending faithfulness and promises. Then instead of being overwhelmed by my inadequacy, I'm overwhelmed by the love of Christ and what he did for me. The last verse describes what I want my response to all this to be during my life.

When the years are showing on my face
and my my strongest days are gone.
When my heart and flesh depart this place
from a life that's sung your song.
You'll still be the one I want
You'll still be the one I want

I want to be old and look back and have had a life that has sung His song. I want it to have overwhelmed my life completely and swallowed it whole. Even today, there are distractions that pull on my heart but I feel the Spirit leading my heart as it cries, "I just want you, Jesus, just you. You are the one I want."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. this song is one of my all time favorites! i feel like the words so beautifully capture and say what my heart is feeling. i got to see brooke perform a few days ago, and she played this song. i had my eyes closed the whole time, and everyone in the room faded away. it was like she was singing the song of my heart to God for me. it was awesome.