Saturday, July 23, 2005

I was recently reading a book in which the author was pointing out how many Christians are reluctant to have direct contact with the poor and how, for many of us, it doesn't make sense to give directly to the poor since this only encourages their laziness. This is an attitude I know I have had as I have walked past the homeless person on a city street shaking his cup and staring blankly at people passing by. The author went on to say that this isn't a view evident anywhere in the Bible when dealing the poor. Jesus always dealt lovingly and directly with the poor. He didn't give money to an organization that helped the poor, he went directly himself and reached out to them. The apostles did the same in the New Testament. It would make sense for me then follow Christ's and their example before that of the Christian church in America today.
Recently, I was given a chance to act this out on my last night in San Diego before I flew out. I was at a trolley stop late at night waiting for a friend to meet me and their was this man who appeared to be homeless traipsing down the sidewalk of the trolley stop. There really wasn't anyone else around but the two of us. He sat down and began mumbling to himself and scratching his shaggy head of hair. I began thinking about what I had recently read and was convicted. I got up and went up to him. "Do you need anything?", I asked.
"No, I'm fine thanks."
"Are you hungry?"
"No, but some water might do though."
I had just drunk the last of my water while I was hesitating to talk to him. I told him this and apologized. I offered to give him a couple bucks to go buy some but he declined. I saw that he shoes were all torn up.
"Can I give you my shoes?"
"No, these are fine. I have another pair that are better but I'm wearing these for now. I'm going to take the trolley somewhere. I don't know where."
"Do you need a ticket?", I asked. "I have a day pass I won't be using if you want."
He said that would be nice and I fished it out of my pocket for him. He walked up to me to get it, took it, and walked to the trolley which had just arrived. The stench I smelled was horrible and it lingered around me where he had just stood.
The next day I was reflecting on the encounter while reading Hosea. I realized then the reality that the stench of my sin smells even worse to God and yet because of Christ, he embraces me and wraps me in His sweet fragrance. I picture Jesus ministering to the poor, loving them, smelling such stenches and instead of cringing, embracing them and giving of Himself to meet their needs. Let us not be fooled. All of us, after all, are poor beggars in need of the generous hand of God's grace. I would hesitate to call myself a New Testament Christian if I did not live as such. And grace God gives us...a mysterious grace. So much grace that when we are covered with it, He longer calls us sinners or beggars. Rather he sees us as and calls us saints and holy ones and asks us to let Him in so that He can make His home inside of us. How undeserved I am and how great and wonderful His grace to me.

"...the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

No comments: